With simple home remedies for dark spots, you do not need to buy expensive fade creams. You can now use common household items like vegetables and spices to lighten or get rid of blemishes such as age spots, sun spots, acne spots and melasma spots. Below are effective natural home remedies to get rid of dark spots on different parts of the body: under the eyes, face, hands and legs.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Skin and Face
- Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Skin and Face
- Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Skin
- Lemon Juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Horseradish for Dark Patches
- Baking Soda for Dark Spots from Pimples
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Red Onion Juice
- Glycerin Rose Water and Honey
- How to Remove Dark Spots on Skin
- Natural Remedies for Dark Spots on Face
- Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Spots on the Face
- Vitamins C and E
- Olive Oil
- Castor Oil
- Milk Remedy
- Aloe Vera
- Papaya for Lightening Dark Marks
- Yogurt Treatment
- Home Remedies for Dark Spots during Pregnancy
- Natural Remedies for Dark Spots on Face and Neck
- Natural Remedies for Dark Spots – in Hindi
- Home Remedies for Dark Spots under Eyes
- Tomato juice
- Home Remedies to Remove Dark Spots on the Hands and Legs
- Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Black Skin
- How to Avoid Dark Spots
The skin; an important part of our bodies is the first line of defense from all external factors. It plays a big role in protecting the body. It is sometimes discolored and altered in pigmentation due to aging, exposure to the sun acne and use of hormonal contraceptives. It is one of the first areas to show signs of aging such as dark spots and medical issues such as liver disease (which is why sometimes they are referred to as liver spots).
Dark spots are unattractive and any woman would attest to the fact that they would do just about anything to clear them. They are usually black or brown in color and can be found in overly exposed areas such as the face, neck, hands and legs. Dark skin spots could be as a result of melanin precipitation in some areas of the skin. It is for this reason that fair skinned women find it difficult to hide these marks unlike those with a darker skin tone who can easily get away with these blemishes due to an easy blend with lots of melanin in the skin.
What Causes Dark Spots on Skin?
Dark spots on the skin and face are caused by hyperpigmentation due precipitation of melanin on the skin. There are a number of reasons that are responsible for the appearance of dark spots. Sun exposure is the most common. When the skin is exposed to the sun, it produces melanin; the natural pigment that protects us from the sun by giving the dark tanned skin. It is not always produces uniformly. This is what results in appearance of dark patches or spots.
In absence of disease, dark spots should not be a reason for panic. It is however a big point of concern in the cosmetic industry creating a basis for many dark spots erasing products. This has given rise to many chemicals, skin creams and pills in an attempt to treat any discoloration and marks on the skin. However, treatment of dark spots is fast changing from conventional store bought creams to natural remedies.
This is because these home remedies are safe, effective and cheap compared to creams and other topical applications for dark spot removal.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Skin
There are varieties of home remedies for dark spots on skin. If you are looking for how to get rid of dark spots on skin, ditch the chemicals and use these remedies for simple solutions. Depending with your needs, you may want to try a few of these natural remedies for dark spots on skin to find one that works for you. Here are top 7 home remedies for dark spots on skin:
Lemon juice has for long been used to lighten dark spots on the skin and whiten dark skin effectively. It has natural acidity and lots of vitamin C content which makes it a good remedy in lightening dark spots. It is also a natural exfoliating agent that gently removes the hyper-pigmented top layer of the skin to gradually expose the lighter fairer skin below.
- Squeeze fresh lemon to a cup
- Dab some lemon juice with a Q-tip or a cotton ball
- Apply directly to the dark spots in the morning and evening, three times a week
- You should be able to see positive results by the end of the second week
- Other ways to use lemon to lighten dark spots include: spraying it on, rubbing and making a lemon lotion
Lemon juice is a potent and effective natural remedy to get rid of dark spots on the skin. It should however not be overused since it has a tendency to dry skin. Stick to using it 3 times a week. For maximum effect, make sure the lemon juice is fresh and has no preservatives in case you got it from the store. If you have sensitive or excessively dry skin, combine lemon juice with olive oil and honey to moisturize.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has a number of healing properties. It has a wide range of properties that make it a very beneficial product in skin care. Amino acids, acetic acid and vitamins are all essential in skin care. The component that makes ACV good dark spots removal is sulfur. Sulfur is the best treatment for hyperpigmentation and dark spot treatment.
- Dab some ACV using a cotton pad and apply directly to the affected area
- Wait for 30 minutes and rinse out.
- Alternatively, you can mix ACV with fresh lemon juice in equal parts.
- Use a cotton pad to apply and gently rub the solution directly to the dark spots. Wait for 30 minutes and rinse off.
- Do this daily for 4-6 weeks.
Horseradish for Dark Patches
Horseradish root is very good for age spots and liver spots. It has high vitamin C content that gently peels off and slows the production of melanin. It has properties that remove age spots and freckles and other blemishes. Mix horseradish with vinegar or honey for best results.
- Horseradish pieces
- Apple cider vinegar – 1/2 cup
- Glass container
How to Use to Clear Dark Patches
- Grate 5 inch long horseradish to a fine paste
- Add this to half a cup of apple cider vinegar
- Stir well and let it sit for 2 weeks without disturbing
- Then take apple cider vinegar and add this to apple cider vinegar
- Stir it well and leave it like that for about 2 weeks without disturbing it only taking it out to shake once a day
- Strain the vinegar into a storage container
- Using a cotton pad, apply this mixture to the affected area twice a day for at least one month
This natural remedy is not the best for sensitive skin types. Discontinue use if irritation occurs.
Baking Soda for Dark Spots from Pimples
Baking soda is a very common method used to effectively clear dark spots and acne scars. To get rid of dark spots from pimples, try this cheap and easy to use home remedy. It is good for exfoliation and encourages new skin growth.
- Make a paste using ½ teaspoon of baking soda and ½ teaspoon of distilled water.
- Wash your face to remove any make
- Apply to affected areas gently rubbing to exfoliate
- Leave it for 5 minutes and rinse off.
- Do this once daily for as long as you find it necessary
Note: DO NOT overuse baking soda. It can overly dry your skin.
Hydrogen peroxide is a common ingredient in many commercial skin bleaching creams. It can be bought from the stores at different potencies and strengths, safe for use on skin. Use 3%hydrogen peroxide directly on dark spots to fade and reduce their appearance.
Red Onion Juice
Red onions contain lots of sulfur content. Sulfur is a natural compound that is known to cause skin whitening. This together with the acidity in the onion can be used to lighten dark splotches on the skin.
- Blend onions in a juicer and strain off the juice.
- Use a Q-tip to apply this directly to the affected areas.
- Alternatively, you can rub a slice of onion onto the dark spots; let it stay on for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
Try a mixture of red onions with garlic for better results. I recommend that you do the onion dark spots treatment every night since onions are one hell of a smelly remedy. Use a mild cleanser to mask the smell of onion before rinsing off.
Glycerin Rose Water and Honey
Mix glycerin, rose water and honey in equal parts. Apply this mixture to the affected skin every night. Let it stay on 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water. This remedy is very effective in fading dark spots and giving a natural glow. It is also has moisturizing properties and is best for those with dry skin types.
How to Remove Dark Spots on Skin
By the time you time are reading this article, you probably having one or several dark spots that you badly want to get rid of. Before you get to ways and how to remove dark spots on skin, you should also have in mind ways in which you can prevent formation of more dark spots and other skin blemishes. “Prevention is the best cure”. Using a broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF of at least 30 is the best way to avoid dark spots. Eat healthy, stay hydrated and use anti-wrinkle and anti-aging creams.
It is also important for you to understand that most of these home remedies work- not magic. It is best to exercise patience and be consistent when you decide on what remedy to use to lighten dark spots on skin. Home remedies do not give the same results on everyone. You may have to try a few of them to find one that suits your needs. Avoid drying agents like baking soda and lemon if you have dry skin. Those with sensitive skin should steer clear of harsh substances like lemon while the oily skin types are recommended to minimize use of deep moisturizing products like eggs and aloe Vera.
Natural Remedies for Dark Spots on Face
The face is a very sensitive part of the body with some of the parts like the eyes and lips being particularly fine with fragile skin. This makes it more deserving of special attention and care. Effects of the sun, acne and aging can easily show on the face as sun spots, age spots and dark spots.
To get rid of dark spots on the face, many people are moving to natural home remedies. Keep in mind that not all natural remedies can be used on the face. This is because some of these products are harsh and more especially because the face may have different oil zones that may require specific attention and benefits that these products may not offer.
What causes dark spots on the face?
Home remedies for black age spots due to acne and brown spots due to sun damage work by bleaching and fading off the blemishes to reduce their appearance. Some have antiseptic and antibacterial properties that cleanse deep within the skin to remove dirt and dust. Those with astringent properties remove excess oils and balance sebum production to clear whiteheads and blackheads. Here are the major causes of dark spots on the face:
- Hormonal imbalances
- Skin disorders
- Liver disease
- Sun damage
Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Spots on the Face
The number one home remedy for dark spots on the face is protection. Always wear sunscreen 30 minutes before going out in the sun. It will reduce the chances of getting sunspots sun damage and age spots with continued exposure.
Vitamins C and E
Vitamin E and vitamin C are natural dark spot correctors. Vitamin E can effectively lighten dark spots. It has antioxidants that even skin tone and brighten up your face.
- Pop a vitamin E capsule and apply the contents directly to the affected area. Vitamin C is also rich in antioxidant and lightens the skin by reducing the amount of melanin produced by the skin. Take vitamin E supplements and eat foods that are rich in vitamin C such as; oranges and strawberries to lighten up skin tone to diminish the appearance of dark spots on the face.
Black spots due to pimples can be very difficult to get rid of. Olive oil is a multitasking home remedy that is known to effectively fade acne marks ad reduce spots caused by pimples. It is rich in vitamins E and A and other essential elements that can help hydrate the skin. It is safe and can be used in a number of different skin whitening recipes.
Use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) in skin whitening face masks to lighten dark spots naturally. To lighten dark spots on face due to pimples; apply a few drops of olive oil on the face and leave it on till morning, wash off with warm water. Do this every night for as long as it is necessary. Other than being a dark spot eraser, olive oil is a good moisturizer and effectively removes eye make-up.
Castor oil is known for its ability to lighten dark spots. It among the best treatments for dark spots on the face because it is generally safe and has moisturizing properties which is a plus for any home remedy for dark spots on the face. Apply castor oil to the dark spots and massage gently to bleach the dark spots. Apply twice daily for best results.
To get rid of sunspots and brown spots due to sun damage, apply milk to your face. It lightens skin and fades the dark spots with time. Milk contains lactic acid which is responsible for lightening dark spots.
- Dab the cotton ball in the milk and apply it directly on affected areas of your face.
- Leave it for 8-10 minutes and wash it off.
- Apply milk on the face twice a day.
- Alternatively, make a paste with sour milk, cream and honey for faster results. This is the best home remedy for dark spots from acne.
Aloe Vera is an exceptional plant that has been used effectively in skin whitening. It is safe and very effective in treatment of dark spots on the face on dry skin. It moisturizes and treats dry skin conditions to improve overall skin complexion.
- Apply aloe Vera juice on dark spots
- Let it dry on for 30 minutes.
- Then rinse off with cool water.
Note that, aloe Vera is very sticky and pulls the skin together as it dries. Do not leave it on for too long.
Papaya for Lightening Dark Marks
Papaya contains papain, an enzyme that exfoliates the skin, encouraging production of newer and fairer skin. Papain also inhibits the enzyme tyrosinase- used by pigment-producing skin cells to make melanin. Green papaya contains more papain than the ripe ones. However, it stings a bit when applied to skin. The ripe papaya works just as well though, so if that is all you have access to, you can use it and expect results.
- Crush green papaya to make a pulp
- Apply it on the face and leave it for 20 minutes
- Wash off with cool water
- Papaya also makes a good skin brightening face mask
Yogurt contains several enzymes that can effectively treat dark spots. It also has lactic acid which is good for exfoliation and skin whitening.
- Use plain unflavored yogurt and apply directly to the dark spots using your fingers
- Leave it for at least 45 minutes preferably before bedtime
- Wash off in the morning with cool water
For best results, add two tablespoons of oatmeal and one tablespoon of lemon juice. Use this home remedy for at least one month for positive results.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots during Pregnancy
Pregnancy comes with its fair share of skin issues. Not all women experience the same signs. It is common for pregnant women to have melasma, pimple breakouts and darkening of other parts of the body. Increased hormones are responsible for changes in skin pigmentation.
While scented face soaps can aggravate nausea, it is not recommended to use any acne medicated astringents; they may not be recommended for pregnant women. Natural home remedies are the best way to reduce dark spots on the face during pregnancy. However, not all home remedies are good and safe to be used in pregnancy. Here is a list of natural products that can be used to as remedies for dark spots during pregnancy;
- Aloe Vera
- Almond oil
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Rose water
Most of these products are safe and have neutral or no scents making them favorable in pregnancy.
Natural Remedies for Dark Spots on Face and Neck
Most times we give all attention to the face and forget about the neck. Dark spots and patches on the neck may put your efforts to get rid of dark spots on the face at a zero. To get an even skin tone, you should always remember to also get rid of dark spots on the neck for a complete look.
As it is for the face, it is essential to cleanse and exfoliate the neck. Natural remedies for dark spots on the face and neck are not different. Just be sure to employ any dark spot on the face remedy on your neck too. Since the neck is not as fragile as the face, you can use more potent natural bleaches like lemon and baking soda or scrubs to exfoliate and expose the new skin below.
Natural Remedies for Dark Spots – in Hindi
Natural remedies for dark spots in Hindi employ the use of natural skin whitening products to get rid of dark spots and age spots. Ingredients such as lemon, turmeric, papaya, bananas and milk are used to effectively lighten dark spots and achieve a glowing skin complexion.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots under Eyes
The area beneath the eye is way finer than the skin on the rest of the face. It is very sensitive to light and shows any sign of body distress and effects of the sun. Getting rid of dark spots under the eyes can be quite difficult. But before you go for that under eye cream, you should give natural dark spots remedies a try. They are safe, cheap and easy to use.
With these simple and easy home remedies, this article will help you fade off dark spots under eyes and keep your skin flawless. Note that, the area under the eyes is very sensitive and needs not to be treated with harsh products that can burn or sting.
Tomatoes are rich in sulfur, vitamin A and C. These have bleaching properties tomato juice is very strong in lightening dark spots under eyes but also mild for the sensitive skin around the eyes.
- Crush one tomato into pulp and extract the juice
- Add in ½ a teaspoon of lemon juice and mix well
- Apply this mixture to the dark spots and leave it for 20 minutes
- Wash off with cool water
Tomato juice and other products that are rich in vitamins A and C are very good for treatment of dark spots under the eyes. This remedy is also good for dark under eye circles. Other remedies that can be used to remove dark spots under the eyes include;
- Raw potato
- Pineapple juice
- Rose water
- Almond oil
- Olive oil
Home Remedies to Remove Dark Spots on the Hands and Legs
Most are the times that we put a lot of focus on the face and forget about the hands and the legs. Dark spots on the hands and legs also known as age spots appear due to extended exposure to the sun. They are more common in people above the age of 40. This is not to say that they cannot appear at a lesser age.
Exposure to the sun stimulates production of melanin. Some times this dark pigment precipitates under the skin giving rise to dark patches and brown spots. With time, more melanin production makes these spots even darker and more visible. However, dark spots on the hands and legs can be removed using natural home remedies that are as effective as skin whitening creams. Here are some effective home remedies for dark spots on the hands and legs;
- Squeeze fresh lemon into a cup
- Use a cotton pad to dab the juice directly to the spots
- Leave it for an hour then rinse off
- Apply this twice daily for best results.
- If you have sensitive skin, dilute lemon with water or mix with honey and rosewater.
Alternatively, you can exfoliate with natural ingredients such as oatmeal and gram flour. These will gently peel off the top layer of the skin and expose the brighter skin below. Brown spots on the legs maybe a little harder to get rid of. Protection from harmful UV rays is important to prevent formation of age spots on the legs.
Sandalwood powder is good for age spots and any other skin dots or patches as a result of aging and exposure to sunlight. It has anti-aging properties that revive skin and give it a youthful glow. Sandalwood lightens black skin spots and reverses the process of aging. It also has antibacterial properties that protect the skin against skin infections.
- Mix a pinch of sandalwood powder with three drops each of rose water glycerin and lemon juice.
- Apply this paste onto the age spots and leave to dry for 20 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water
- Alternatively, massage a drop of pure sandalwood essential oil directly onto the age spots
Horseradish is a natural remedy for dark spot removal. It is effective with skin lightening properties. This root is also great for other skin blemishes like liver spots and freckles.
- Prepare a mixture of ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar and 4 inches of grated fresh horseradish
- Put it in a jar, tighten the lid and allow this mixture to sit for two weeks
- Shake it daily
- Strain this mixture and refrigerate it
- Using a cotton ball, apply this mixture on the skin once daily
Home Remedies for Dark Spots on Black Skin
Dark spots are more are darker and more obvious on African American skin due to the presence of more melanin pigment. While dark spots can fade over time, it becomes a little harder in people with black skin as more exposure to the sun means more melanin which in turn makes the skin splotches even more obvious.
Dark spots can however be prevented from deepening in color by using a broad spectrum sunscreen with zinc oxide. A minimum of SPF 30 is recommended. Home remedies for dark spots on dark skin are not in any way different from those used on fair skin complexion. The only problem is that, it takes a longer time to effectively remove dark spots from black skin. Practice patience and consistency in using home remedies for dark spots on skin.
How to Avoid Dark Spots
Preventing dark spots proves the best way to completely avoid them.
- Avoid intense sunlight hours from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wear a hat and long sleeve shirt in the sun.
- Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outdoors and reapplying it every two hours.